Union-Revolution: Lineups and pregame thoughts
- Many Union fans get the lineup they wanted this offseason, with Maurice Edu as the holding midfielder with Brian Carroll out with an undisclosed illness. There are two partnerships to watch here: How the dynamic between he and Vincent Nogueira change, and how Leo Fernandes and Nogueira balance responsibilities going forward and in defense.
- Sheanon Williams is out for a second straight game, giving Ray Gaddis another chance to showcase his ability at right back opposite Fabinho. Conor Casey is once again unavailable. Zach Pfeffer makes the bench.
- Without Carroll, Amobi Okugo will wear the captain's armband. No determination on whether Okugo is the full-time vice captain. Jeff Parke filled that role last year.
- Big changes for the Revs, five in all. Out are Kelyn Rowe and Patrick Mullins from last week. Rookies Steve Neumann and Mullins don't even make the bench after playing last week. Jose Goncalves is also benched for the first time in 35 MLS games. He played every minute last year. Clearly, changes had to be made after their 4-0 drubbing at Houston last week. Look for Diego Fagundez and Donnie Smith to get forward on the wings. The absence of Daigo Kobayashi opens up the middle more than usual.
- The big matchup today is about how the Union contain Lee Nguyen, who did not play last week. The responsibility will be shared by Fernandes and Nogueira, and they will need to help Edu whenever possible to limit the crafty midfielder.