Blogs > Union Tally

A Philadelphia Union blog hosted by Christopher A. Vito and Matthew De George

Thursday, July 19, 2012

LE TOUX: "I WON'T SAY NO" TO MAKING RETURN TO THE UNION IN 2013

(Courtesy MLSsoccer.com)
Hey Union fans, remember the feeling you had about a week back, when you heard that Sebastien Le Toux was traded to the New York Red Bulls?

Well, Le Toux felt the same way.

In advance of the Union's road date with the Red Bulls this Saturday, I spoke with Le Toux -- one of the most popular players in Union history. And he said his first thought after getting word he'd been shipped from Vancouver was similar to what Union fans likely experienced.

"I thought, 'Oh no, I have to play Philly next weekend,'" Le Toux told me the other day. "And I read some of the tweets that people were sending."

Le Toux scored 14 goals and tallied 11 assists in two seasons with the Union. He was a 2010 All-Star, one of the MLS Best XI in the same season, a top-five goal scorer in 2010 and 2011, and a good guy who twice won the league's Fair Play Award for committing the fewest fouls. He was a guy everyone seemed to rally around.

So when the Union traded him to the Whitecaps in January, naturally, the move ruffled a few feathers. The common logic is that New York dealt for Le Toux because the Red Bulls figured they would have better luck re-signing Le Toux, whose contract expires after this season, than Dane Richards -- who's believed to be Europe-bound in 2013.

That being said, I asked Le Toux if he'd ever consider returning to Philly by signing in the offseason with the Union. (Remember, this is the guy who told me the day he was traded to Vancouver, "I would be happy to just retire than play for Peter (Nowak) again." But Nowak's not with the Union. It's John Hackworth's team.)

Anyway, here's what Le Toux had to say: 
"To play there again, I don't know," Le Toux said. "I said I would not come back, but that was a different circumstance. You can see from the results what John Hackworth is doing. He's done a great job. He's very capable of leading the team to good results. He's good and the players have responded.

"I don't know. That will have to be something I think about after the season. I had a great two years there in Philly. I will see what will happen, but I won't say no."

Labels: , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home