XI v. REVS: HOPPENOT GETS START
GK ... MacMath
DF ... G Farfan, Valdes, Okugo, Williams
MF ... Carroll, Gomez, M Farfan
FW ... Adu, McInerney, Hoppenot
Bench: Harrison, Daniel, Gaddis, Lopez, Martinez, Pajoy, Lahoud.
Observations about the lineup:
- Hoppenot gets his chance. Rookie Antoine Hoppenot will start in the attack, his first opportunity to do so. Previously, he had only been used as a sub and playing no more than 31 minutes (June 23) in any of his appearances.
- Adu is back. After a one-game absence, Freddy Adu is back in the lineup. More to come on this hot-button topic (hopefully) afterward.
- Pajoy on the bench. Assuming he gets into the match, Lionard Pajoy will come off the bench for the third time in his last five appearances, after starting the first 11 matches of the season.
- Gomez v. Lahoud. Seemingly, the only week-to-week positional battle has been in the midfield, between Gabriel Gomez and Michael Lahoud, who had started six of eight games since arriving in Philly via trade in May. Tonight, it's Gomez, who started the first 10 matches of the season. Since then, he's been an unused sub three times, been subbed on three times more and started only twice.
- Albright on the bench ... sort of. Defender Chris Albright hasn't played more than nine minutes in a match since March 24. So why is he on the bench tonight? Well, technically, he's the team administrator -- as is stated on the gameday roster. He's not in the 18. Word is he's a good influence on the younger guys, but Hackworth didn't want to surrender a roster spot for a guy who likely would not get into the game.